Friday 13 January 2012

Pointless Predictions 2012: Golden Globes

It's time for bad boy of Brit-Sit-Coms Ricky Gervais to lay into Hollywood royalty once more.  Here's my utterly unscientific predictions for the winners on Sunday night.  I stress that it is highly unlikely I will be right about any of these as I'm just going on other people's predictions and what I've heard.  In green, are the few nominees I've actually seen, in red my predicted winner, and god forbid I've actually seen what I predict will win, then the film will be in blue.  Got it?


BEST PICTURE: DRAMA
The Descendants
The Help
Hugo
The Ides of March
Moneyball
War Horse




BEST PICTURE: COMEDY OR MUSICAL
50/50
The Artist
Bridesmaids
Midnight in Paris
My Week With Marilyn

BEST DIRECTOR
Woody Allen, Midnight in Paris
George Clooney, The Ides of March
Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
Alexander Payne, The Descendants
Martin Scorsese, Hugo

BEST ACTOR: DRAMA
George Clooney, The Descendants
Leonardo DiCaprio, J.Edgar
Michael Fassbender, Shame
Ryan Gosling, The Ides of March
Brad Pitt, Moneyball

BEST ACTRESS: DRAMA
Glenn Close, Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis, The Help
Rooney Mara, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep, The Iron Lady
Tilda Swinton, We Need To Talk About Kevin

BEST ACTRESS: COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Jodie Foster, Carnage
Charlize Theron, Young Adult
Kristin Wiig, Bridesmaids
Michelle Williams, My Week With Marilyn
Kate Winslet, Carnage

BEST ACTOR: COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Jean Dujardin, The Artist
Brendan Gleeson, The Guard
Joseph Gordon Levitt, 50/50
Ryan Gosling, Crazy Stupid Love
Owen Wilson, Midnight in Paris

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Berenice Bejo, The Artist
Jessica Chastain, The Help
Janet McTeer, Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer, The Help
Shailene Woodley, The Descendants

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Kenneth Branagh, My Week With Marilyn
Albert Brooks, Drive
Jonah Hill, Moneyball
Viggo Mortensen, A Dangerous Method
Christopher Plummer, Beginners

BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM
"A Separation" (Iran)
The Flowers Of War" (China)
"The Kid With The Bike" (Belgium)
"In The Land Of Blood and Honey" (USA)
"The Skin I Live In" (Spain)

BEST SCREENPLAY
The Artist
The Descendants
The Ides of March
Midnight in Paris
Moneyball

BEST ORIGINAL SCORE
Ludovic Bource - "The Artist"
Abel Korzeniowski - "W.E."
Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross - "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo"
Howard Shore - "Hugo"
John Williams - "War Horse"

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
The Adventures of Tintin
Arthur Christmas
Cars 2
Puss In Boots
Rango



So, in summary, I've seen 5 of the 35 nominees in these most major of categories and am therefore a complete failure at being a film fan and blogger.  My predictions are mostly a mash-up of other people's opinions and therefore sit very close to worthless.  You might as well have read the predictions of somebody who had actually seen more than four of the listed films.

While these films have been dazzling cinema audiences across the globe, I've been watching Hobo with a Shotgun, countless found footage horrors that look like they were made by film students with extreme epilepsy, and generally waiting patiently for Lovefilm to send me the DVD/Blu-rays so I don't have to fork out for ridiculously priced cinema tickets.


But, in short;
  • I think Hugo doesn't deserve to win much (unless its competitors are not very good) but The Artist deserves to win more than it probably will
  • 50/50 and Bridesmaids were great but probably not awards worthy (except perhaps for JGL's acting)
  • Rango surely has no competition in the animated category

1 comment:

  1. http://diaryofasshole.blogspot.com/2012/01/my-drunk-golden-globe-predictions-2012.html

    ReplyDelete

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.