Tuesday 20 March 2012

Bad Taste, Bad Ass or Just Bad?

Warning!  More footage has been found.  This time it's from Chernobyl and some extreme tourists seem to be on the receiving end of some radioactive nightmares.  Oren Peli of Paranormal Activity success is involved with this new found footage horror, imaginatively entitled Chernobyl Diaries.  The trailer looks quite funny, quite freaky and just a tad silly.  Count me intrigued!

After Chronicle, could audiences resist the horror genre's reclaiming of characters with cameras?



What do you think?  Wish this footage had stayed lost or could we be in with another Troll Hunter success story?  Is it too soon for a Chernobyl horror story?  Will they be rolling out a 'Ground Zero was actually an ancient Indian burial ground' horror next?

10 comments:

  1. I am not convinced. Every time a new found footage film arrives I say to myself... enough is enough.

    Troll Hunter was excellent there is no doubt, but I am not sure I need another.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scott I hear you, I'm far from convinced but unfortunately I have made an unholy pact and am now bound to watch every last one of these often wretched movies!

      Delete
  2. Pete I wouldnt be going to chernobyl unless I was armed like my character in Fallout New Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a plan! You'd fare better than this lot I imagine!

      Delete
  3. I'm getting tired of these types of found footage horror ideas, it's no longer novelty, plus I don't really enjoy seeing real tragedies being depicted on films anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you Ruth. I think they should be put to rest for at least a little while! I on the other hand am very drawn to real life tragedies on film but not particularly when it's horror films. That's often a bit too disturbing!

      Delete
  4. You've read my rant on this so you know my thoughts on found footage! I'll give it a chance, and using Chernobyl is an interesting (if still controversial and potentially hugely controversial) idea, but I don't have high hopes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In light of your recent rant, I'd say it's probably best you give this one some space! Not sure it's going to be one of the better found footage films but we'll see!

      Delete
  5. It looks like the opening is "Found Footage", but the rest of the trailer features wide sweeping shots and video of the characters from afar/impossible angles. I don't know if I would label this found footage or not. Besides, it looks pretty creepy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not 100% convinced yet but it seems like it might be worth a look!

      Delete

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.