Sunday 12 May 2013

Blair Witch Book Just Got Really Real

For the past four and a half months, I've been hard at work on writing my first book to be published by Auteur in their Devil's Advocate series on classic horror films. My entry in this series will be on The Blair Witch Project and though I've been writing it for four and half months and already long ago signed a contract saying when I should be delivering the manuscript, it suddenly just got very real to me the other day.


For Christmas I asked for the Devil's Advocate book on Saw by Benjamin Poole so I could get a better sense of the writing style of this series of books and the kinds of things they cover. Not only was it an excellent book but it also filled me with new respect for the film and a renewed determination to do The Blair Witch Project justice with my own book. Also my old Film Studies teacher Ian Cooper from Amersham and Wycombe College and the guy who made me think being a teacher might be fun and even more so, made me fall in love with the subject has also written a book in this series on Witchfinder General.


Anyway after reading and loving the Saw one, I thought I'd buy James Rose's Devil's Advocate book on The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. James Rose is a writer who is constantly in Media Magazine, another publication I write for and his articles always interest me as I suspect we have similar taste in movies and interests. So I opened up my copy of the Texas Chain Saw book and what did I see as soon as I flipped over the first page? You'll have to excuse the crappy photo from my phone but yes that is my name under the heading Forthcoming. I got very excited. This makes it just that extra bit real.


Now I just have to finish writing the damn thing, then redraft it until its properly ready and then wait for it to be put together and published in a beautiful way. I can't wait to see what image gets used for the cover. Hopefully then it obviously sells millions and millions of copies, becomes a phenomenon like the film itself and makes me hugely rich so I can retire to a private island and just write about films for the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.