Friday 6 September 2013

Deconstructing Romeo + Juliet @Static Mass Emporium

As part of Static Mass Emporium's continuing Deconstructing Cinema series, editor Patrick asked me to contribute another article on a film of my choice. After tackling some pretty grim films in this series in the past including racism dramas American History X and This is England, I chose something slightly lighter and definitely far more romantic for my latest article. This time I have tackled the moment in Baz Lurhmann's version of William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet where the star crossed lovers first lay eyes on each other through the fish tank.


It is such a brilliant scene that I could easily have banged on about it for way longer but one must stick to word limits mustn't one! Besides I don't want to completely spoil the beauty and romance of the scene by completely over-analysing it. Although I think I may have slightly. But still I hope it might make you take another look at the scene and possibly even pay extra special attention to the way it is crafted from the editing to the soundtrack to the lavish props, costume and set design. Not to mention the sweet performances of Leo DiCaprio and Claire Danes.

Anyway the blurb for it goes: "Take a drug fuelled trip into the decadent party of The Capulets in part 88 of Deconstructing Cinema with a scene from Baz Luhrmann’s bonkers but beautiful adaptation of Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet."

And here is the opening: "Love at first sight. If you believe in it, then Romeo And Juliet is filled with wonder, possibility and deep tragedy. If you fail to see how catching the eyes of someone across the room can lead to a piercing dagger right through your heart, then neither Shakespeare nor director Baz Lurhmann are going to make you feel otherwise." Please go read the rest of the article at Static Mass Emporium if you fancy it!

If you don't fancy the romance, why not try one of my other articles for Static Mass:






No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.