Friday 3 January 2014

Best books I read in 2013

I read quite a few books this year ranging from film studies analyses to the far less academic 50 Shade of Grey trilogy. I also made a start on the Song of Ice and Fire/ Game of Thrones books and hope to get through the rest in 2014. I even got to do quite a few book reviews at both Starburst Magazine and Filmoria. Click the titles to check out my full reviews.



Saw by Benjamin Poole

I'm writing a book on The Blair Witch Project for the Devil's Advocate series published by Auteur and in order to get a better sense of what they are looking for, I read this analysis of Saw from the same series of books. It's a fascinating read and gave me an even greater appreciation for the film.

Studying Fight Club

Seeing as I spend 9 weeks of every year doing exactly what the title says with my A2 Film Studies students, I though it best to read this from cover to cover and make notes on it. Again, a brilliant read for fans of the film!


The Art of Epic

'The Art of Epic does not simply look pretty. Bennett’s prose is also a joy to read; the input from the Blue Sky team being expertly woven into the text and enlightening and inspiring throughout. The Art of Epic is luscious in its level of detail; in short, it’s epic.'

 
Boy Nobody

'Boy Nobody is an easy read and hard to put down from the brusque opening to the explosive climax. It contains a few surprises and a character that has the potential to become more and more interesting as the series continues. It’s not a great piece of literature but it knows its audience and hits the target precisely.'

The Hobbit

I didn't particularly like this book as a child and I didn't particularly like it that much when I read it again this year. That said, there were a couple of moments that Peter Jackson did not include from the book in The Desolation of Smaug that I was not happy about him dismissing. Firstly the way the dwarves enter Beorn's house and secondly the way the dwarves are led off the path in Mirkwood by the wood elves. It's a shame that Jackson felt the need to change these parts as they were two of the most memorable bits from the books.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre by James Rose

'Highly recommended for fans of the film or anyone with an academic interest in horror.'

Are You Talking To Me? A Life Through the Movies

'This was much more biography than I expected with author Walsh detailing his youth in London as he was growing up and the films that helped him make it through to adulthood.'

Green Zone: Imperial Life in the Emerald City

'A depressing look at what happened after America invaded Iraq, tainted by the infrequent promise of what could have been.'

A Game of Thrones

'The dialogue is so brilliantly written that I found myself wanting to talk like the characters all the time.'

Middle Earth Envisioned: The Hobbit and The Lord of theRings: On Screen, On Stage and Beyond

'Middle-earth Envisioned is not for readers who are only interested in Peter Jackson's films or casual Tolkien fans. It is an exhaustive illustrated history of all those who have attempted to bring Tolkien's writing to life. Unless you are already a Tolkien know-it-all who speaks Elvish, you are bound to find plenty here that will leave you inspired to search the internet for further evidence of the weird and the wonderful adaptations of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.'


A Clash of Kings  

Even better than the first, I just cannot get enough of these books. New characters, more bloodshed and a bloody great battle to top it all off. I can't wait to get started on A Storm of Swords next.


50 Shades of Grey
50 Shades Darker

 I'm only reading these so I can contribute to Yahoo on the upcoming film versions. Please don't think any less of me. Here's what I've written so far:
Why aren't more men reading 50 Shades of Grey?
How much sex can 50 Shades of Grey movie get away with?
Do women really love 50 Shades of Grey's Christian Grey?
Will 50 Shades of Grey lingerie make a kinky killing at Christmas?
Why Jamie Dornan must go full frontal in 50 Shades of Grey 

To top it all off, I'm about half way through 50 Shades Freed and have read the first chapter of A Storm of Swords.

My reading for the year sorted!

What have you read in 2013?

Why don't you stay awhile? More 2013 lists from I Love That Film:

TV in 2013: Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Walking Dead, Homeland and more

World Cinema in 2013

Top Documentaries of 2013

2013 List of Shame or 25 films I should have seen this year

2013 Top 10 Horror, Fantasy and Science Fiction

2013 Top 10 So Far (written in July)

Best British Films of 2013

Top 25 Films to see in 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.