Tuesday 3 November 2015

The British Independent Film Award Nominations Are In!

The winners of the British Independent Film Awards will be announced in a ceremony to be held on December 6 in the Old Billingsgate in London.

The nominations were announced today with The Lobster, Macbeth and Suffragette all leading the charge. I've put who I'd like to win so far in bold, but there's quite a few films that I have yet to see on this list including 45 Years, Brooklyn and The Danish Girl so things could change before the awards. Please click any of the titles of the films I have seen for my full reviews.

UPDATE: Winners are now written in large!

Here is the complete list:


Best Actor:

  • Colin Farrell for The Lobster
  • Michael Fassbender for Macbeth
  • Tom Courtenay for 45 Years
  • Tom Hardy for Legend
  • Tom Hiddleston for High-Rise 
This one is really tough but Tom Hardy deserves it for tackling dual roles and for sheer entertainment value.


 Best Supporting Actor:

 I suspect I may be eating my words on this one, once I've seen Brooklyn. 

 Best Actress:

  • Alicia Vikander for The Danish Girl
  • Carey Mulligan for Suffragette
  • Charlotte Rampling for 45 Years
  • Marion Cotillard for Macbeth
  • Saoirse Ronan for Brooklyn
So far I think Mulligan deserves this, but there are three nominees on here whose performances I still need to see.

Best Supporting Actress:

Of the four performances I have seen here, Anne Marie Duff is the clear winner. Really glad to see her nominated.


 Best Director:

This is the toughest category to call. Of the four I have seen, they are all brilliant and well-deserving. I don't understand why Alex Garland isn't in the debut director category as that would make this decision easier. 

 Best Documentary:

  • Amy
  • Dark Horse: The Incredible True Story of Dream Alliance
  • How to Change the World
  • Palio
  • A Syrian Love Story
 I've only seen Amy and Palio, but it's hard to imagine a better documentary than Amy this year.


 Best Debut Director:

  • The Hallow Corin Hardy
  • Kajaki: The True Story Paul Katis
  • Nina Forever Chris Blaine, Ben Blaine
  • Slow West John Maclean
  • The Survivalist Stephen Fingleton
 I've only seen Slow West and The Survivalist, so I'd go with Stephen Fingleton for this one. 


  Best Screenplay:

 I loved Ex Machina and I haven't seen Brooklyn yet. The first half of The Lobster would also be a very worthy winner, but perhaps not the second half. Not sure you can give half a film an award though.


 Best British Independent Film:

Now I think I'm becoming a bit too predictable, but until I see Brooklyn, there is no competition.


 Most Promising Newcomer:

 I've only seen The Survivalist and A Royal Night Out, so again, I stand with Fingleton!


Producer of the Year:

I've only seen Amy and The Lobster, but I suspect Amy was probably the trickier film to get made and a bigger achievement.


 Outstanding Achievement in Craft:

  • Editing - Chris King for Amy
  • Casting - Fiona Weir for Brooklyn
  • Production Design - Mark Digby for Ex Machina 
  • VFX - Andrew Whitehurst for Ex Machina 
  • Cinematography - Adam Arkapaw for Macbeth 
Another incredibly tough category. Macbeth's cinematography, Amy's editing and both the VFX and production design for Ex Machina are all top-notch. Very hard to call.


The Discovery Award:

  • Aaaaaaaah!
  • Burn Burn Burn
  • Orion: The Man Who Would Be King
  • The Return
  • Winter
 This is my category of shame. Not seen a single one of these.


 Best British Short:

  • Balcony
  • Crack
  • Edmond
  • Love Is Blind
  • MANoMAN
 Another category of shame. 


 Best International Independent Film:

Really hope Son of Saul gets this but I doubt it has a chance against Carol.

What do you think of the nominees? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join me in conversation! Please leave a comment on your own pondering.